The Charity Commission

To check your charity's details, click on the link below to take you to The Charity Commission website and search the register to see your setting's accounts and history.

Annual Return

If you are a registered charity, you need to send in an annual return to the charity commission if your setting's income is over £10,000.

If your setting's income is less than £10,000 you just need to ensure that your details of the charity are kept up to date.

Auditing Accounts

If your setting has a gross income of more than £25,000, each year you are required to have the setting's accounts independently examined. Below that threshold, an external scrutiny of accounts is only needed if required by your governing document (ie constitution or memorandum and articles of association). (Guidance document: Charity Reporting and Accounting: the essentials)

If your setting is also a limited company (ie a company limited by guarantee) you will need to file a return with Companies House and HM Revenue and Customs. (Guidance: Setting Up and Running a Charity)


Useful Webpages