Becoming a Childminder

There are a number of things you will need to do before becoming an Ofsted registered childminder.  A childminder is person who receives payment for working in their own home, looking after at least one child for more than two hours a day. You may choose to register as a childminder either directly with Ofsted or with a childminder agency.

Pre-registration information

A number of companies offer childminding registration courses online.  Ofsted offers an on line pre-registration briefing

Disclosure and Barring Service

All childminders and any person living or working on the premises, aged over 16 will need to have a DBS completed and Ofsted recommends that you subscribe to the DBS update service.  The following link takes you to the Ofsted website will only accept a DBS certificate within 3 months of the issue date. Sign up for the DBS update service to keep your certificate up to date.


You must register with Ofsted or a childminder agency if you want to be paid to look after children aged under 8 years for more than 2 hours a day. There are 2 registers. You must apply to be on:

  • the Early Years Register to look after children aged 5 and under
  • the Childcare Register to look after children aged 5 to 7
  • both registers to look after children of all ages

The Early Years Register is for children from birth up to the 31 August after their 5th birthday. After that you must be on the Childcare Register to look after them.

The following link takes you to the registration page for Ofsted or to register with a childminder agency, contact them directly

Food Standards Agency (FSA)

The following link takes you to the information required when registering as a childminder:


Childminders must have completed training which helps them to understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted or a childminder agency.  NYCC offers EYFS training called Principles into Practice. 

To book onto any NYC training course you will need to register with North Yorkshire Education Services and book directly through the website at North Yorkshire Education Services (

To register as a childminder you will need to complete a full Paediatric First Aid course which needs renewing every three years.  You also need to complete the online basic safeguarding course Basic Awareness


The following link takes you to information about registering as self-employed with HMRC: (childminder specific information is further down on the webpage, so you will need to scroll down)

Families Information Service

For a full information pack or further advice and support about starting a childminding business in North Yorkshire, please contact the Families Information Service on 01609 533483.  Alternatively, email your name and address to requesting further information.”