Access to Higher Education is our aspiration for all of our young people and the Virtual School will support, guide and give information wherever possible. It is never too early to start exploring Higher Education; we will introduce this concept in the latter part of primary school. NYCC Virtual School works in partnership with Universities and local organisations to offer experiential participation, guidance and support.
There is significant financial support available from NYCC for those wishing to attend University There are also a number of different pathways available to attain a degree. Individual universities offer tailored financial and emotional support to care leavers, recognising that there may be barriers to accessing higher education and mitigating these wherever possible.
University is generally accessed from the age of 18 onwards. The Leaving Care Team are proficient in supporting university applications, giving guidance and advice on all aspects of university including finance and accommodation.
Useful resources and further guidance
- Financial Support for NYCC Care Leavers (NYCC)
- Undergraduate Support for Care Leavers (UCAS)
- Propel for care leavers, providing information on the support available at colleges and universities across the UK.
- Student Action for Refugees - information on Equal Access University Scholarships for Refugees and Asylum Seekers in the UK.
- Student Finance
- Leaving Care Core Offer
- Talking about Higher Education and the future
If you have any queries, please contact the Virtual School firstname.lastname@example.org or Telephone: 01609 533231.