Before setting up new childcare provision it is essential to establish the viability of any new provision. You should carry out market research to check if there is a demand for the service.
- Have you decided what type of childcare you are going to offer?
- Is the childcare provision required by the public i.e. parents/carers?
- Is the childcare provision required in that area?
- Are there other childcare providers in that area?
- Are there similar childcare providers in that area?
The answers to your market research will help develop your business plan.
As with many businesses there are regulations imposed. Ofsted is the regulatory body for all registered childcare providers. See link below to Ofsted website.
The purpose of registration is to provide protection for the provider, for children and assurances for parents using the service that it is a safe and appropriate place to leave their children. It also provides a quality framework for providers of the service to work within and ensures that they are working within the requirements of the law.
Briefly you will need to:
- Meet all the requirements of the Statutory framework for the early years foundation stage (EYFS): Setting the standards for learning, development and care for children from birth to five (2017)
- Ensure you and your staff have the appropriate qualifications in place
- Ensure you are a suitable person to care for children and that robust measures are in place regarding the safe recruitment of staff
- Check that the premises you are proposing to use has the appropriate planning permission from the local or district council in that area
- Ensure that the premises are safe and appropriate in line with EYFS statutory framework, Fire Safety and Environmental Health
- Ensure the building meets the EYFS statutory framework regulations relating to Premises (EYFS 3.57 - 3.63)
- Check staffing ratios according to the ages of the children you are proposing to care for in accordance with the EYFS statutory framework.
For further information please see the links below
- Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage
- National Day Nurseries Association (NDNA) - link to website
- Early Years Alliance - link to webiste
- Professional Association for Childcare and Early Years (pacey) - link to website
- Out of School Alliance Help and Support for Out of School Clubs - link to website