Schools have an important role to play in tackling substance misuse. Alcohol and cannabis continue to be the most used substances among young people; there has also been an increase in young people taking different drugs together, often mixed with alcohol.
North Yorkshire Adult and Young People Drug and Alcohol Partnership Group, and Safer York Partnership Board, work closely with local partners and providers of services to manage and reduce the harmful effects that drug and alcohol misuse cause to individuals and communities, reduce drug and alcohol related crime, and promote recovery.
Local Services for Children and Young People in North Yorkshire
Information and support around substance misuse can be sought from the 5-19 Healthy Child Service Team and the Prevention Service Team in your area. NHS Choices also provides helpful resources and further information on a range of drug and alcohol topics.
Compass REACH is a North Yorkshire wide service that offers both psychosocial and clinical interventions to young people aged 11 -19 who are involved in risk taking behaviours relating to substance misuse and poor sexual health. Anyone can make a referral into Compass REACH; young people, parents and professionals. Professionals are required to complete a simple screening tool and referral form.
- North Yorkshire Alcohol Pathway
- Frank leaflets are available to download at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/frank.
- Supporting A3 posters can also be downloaded at: www.gov.uk/government/publications/frank-posters (Not available to order)
- North Yorkshire Horizons - North Yorkshire Adult Substance Misuse Service
- FRANK the drugs helpline, offers information and advice to anyone concerned about drugs use. You can call the 0300 123 6600 helpline number 24-hours a day, 365 days a year to speak to a trained advisor in confidence. The advice is free. You can also contact FRANK via instant messenger between 2pm – 6pm, email firstname.lastname@example.org, or text 82111.
- Rise Above is a health and well-being website for young people. It offers advice and tips for young people making decisions around a range of topics including sex, drugs, alcohol and smoking.
- NHS Choices - drinking and alcohol includes information and support about alcohol abuse and addiction, and links to support services for those with alcohol problems and their families, including detoxification and rehabilitation.
- NHS - drug addiction is a guide to different types of drug treatment and what they involve.
- Alcohol Concern helps people through offering information, advice and guidance. You can call the national helpline, Drinkline on 0300 123 1110 (weekdays 9am to 8pm, weekends 11am to 4pm).